Thursday, December 14, 2006


This is a free US Government calculator to help you decide which energy options will save you money. All you need is your electric/gas bill and you can create an upgrade report, then edit it to contain only the things that make sense to you. The finished product will show how much money you would spend, how much you would save (in dollars, KWH, and CO2 emissions), simple payback time and return on investment. I found that if I spend $3370 to:

1. seal the ductwork
2. replace windows with premium windows
3. replace heat pump

I will see a $338 per year savings after 8 years.

2 comments:

Debi said...

I was a little confused by the site -- it's not a quickie, is it? I'll probably go back and try it again.

However, I still learned a lot already, in particular, that a much larger portion of my electricity usage is lighting! So those bulbs that I replaced with the ones you gave me are already paying off big. I also learned that a new more efficient water heater would pay for itself in 2 years.

Bobbie said...

A water heater blanket saves a lot of energy also. They are cheap to buy (under $20 at Lowes) and a breeze to install on electric water heaters. Gas ones require a little more effort since you have to cut it to keep away from the drain and the flu, but still well worth doing. A handyman like Jorge would not have a problem.