Friday, January 19, 2007

* * * 1/2 Things Fall Apart


Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe ***1/2

Published in 1958 "Things Fall Apart" takes place at the turn of the 20th century in Nigeria, Africa and is the story of Okonkwo, leader, local wrestling champion and head of a family consisting of three wives and numerous children. Life deals a few blows to him, like when he is exiled from the clan, then later when missionaries come to live in the village. It has a surprise ending which I always like. Widely acclaimed, selling 10 million copies worldwide and now 10,000,000,001 counting my copy:) And is required reading in some high schools and colleges.

1 comment:

Antigone said...

Wow, you read so fast. Even when I did have time, it took me at least a couple of weeks to finish a book.

I am very interested in this one. A little different from our China theme we have had going for a while.